It’s that time of year again. Candy is everywhere! This Halloween you don’t have to feel bad about indulging in some candy. Just make sure you are choosing the right type! In moderation dark chocolate is actually good for you! A recent study, published in the journal BMJ, found that dark chocolate reduces the risk of heart problems! Here are some more reasons to eat dark chocolate — guilt free.
1. Dark chocolate contains the same type of antioxidants that are found in tea and red whine that have been proven to increase brain activity!
2. It can give you a healthy caffeine boost! Dark chocolate contains just enough caffeine to give you a little boost without drinking as much coffee during the day.
3. Eating dark chocolate can reduce stress! According to a study published in October 2009 in the “Journal of Proteome Research,” people who ate 20 grams of dark chocolate as a morning snack and afternoon snack showed lower levels of stress after a two-week period. That sounds good to me!
4. It can help you fight PMS symptoms. Dark chocolate contains magnesium, which has been shown to reduce cramps, fatigue, depression and irritability.
5. A daily dose of dark chocolate can help lower blood pressure according to the Journal of the American Medical Association.
Sorry milk chocolate lovers, but milk chocolate does not contain the same powerful antioxidants as dark chocolate! If you aren’t into the bitterness that comes a long with dark chocolate try eating it with a sweet fruit like strawberries.
XOXO — Abbey